FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

irish crochet lace and emigration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: irish crochet lace and emigration Reply with quote

Many of the women and girls who emigrated to the USA, Canada, Australia and Great Britain from the Erris area would have brought Irish crochet lace making skills with them. When the lace schools experienced temporary recessions due to a lack of orders, and there being no other work available, the wave of female emigration rose accordingly. Perhaps some of our supporters have maternal ancestors who came from areas such as Erris who passed on their lace making skills. Please let us have your stories. Best wishes helen Very Happy
paul-canada

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Irish lace skills in INDIA- Origins ? Reply with quote

Hi,
Greetings to you in the immaculate name of our Lord and saviour Jesus,your post in the forum was very interesting-came across it while i was crawling the web for info on the origins of crohcet lace making in India -brought along with the missionaries-but precisely from where,due to the fact that some say one mrs.Macrae of scotland introduced it ,while some claim the irish brought it in,which is true?Any info on this subject would be useful as i am trying to formulate a compendium on the history of crochet lace making which is about 100-150 yrs old cottage industry!!!
predating the Erris Lace schools i guess,my aunt's side of the family was involved in the exports of these exquisite work of arts to Europe for almost a century(estb 1904-5)I am currently trying to breathe in some fresh air into their dormant operation,literally pulling them into the 21 century! I pledge my support in your efforts to keep the lace school for posterity as a hertitage site for the generations to come,and may the good LORD bless and grant the desires of your heart.Goodluck-paul.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Crochet Lace Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: